iLearn Insights now has the ability to display the submission location for each student assignment (as either ‘onshore’ or ‘offshore’) and compare that to the location from which the student recently accessed iLearn (within 12 hours of assignment submission).
Usually it would be expected that the location where a student accesses the iLearn site would be the same as where their assignment was submitted. iLearn Insights highlights if there is a mismatch, allowing teaching staff to further investigate.
How to access ‘Assignment Submission Location’ information
- ‘Assignment submission location’ can be accessed from the Activities > Activity details menu as shown below:
2. For each activity, iLearn Insights will show the total number of assignments submitted, how many have been graded already, and the number needing marking (as shown below). These are all links and if you click on any of those links it will display assignment details including the assignment submission location for that particular assignment.
Why this feature was developed
We are training students to work in cross-functional teams that cross national boundaries. We are also training students to be integrous and ethical global citizens. Both of these together help craft the employable graduates of tomorrow. Being able to visualise where our students are during the semester, and match this location to where their assignments are submitted from helps us ensure both of these are occurring to the highest of standards. Where mismatches in location IDs occur – it will immediately help Unit Convenors question the integrity of student participation. Where mismatches do not occur – it will showcase to us how global our student work truly is.Dr. Prashan Karunaratne, Actuarial Studies & Business Analytics
Look for the asterix (*)
iLearn Insights displays an assignment submission table and highlights in red all assignments that have been submitted from offshore. By placing your mouse on the ‘Offshore’ link you will be able to view:
- the date the assignment was submitted
- the number of onshore and offshore iLearn logins within approximately 12 hours of assignment submission.
If both onshore and offshore iLearn login access is found within 12 hours of the assignment submission, then an asterisk(*) is placed in-front of ‘Offshore’ to make it more prominent for Unit Convenors and allow them to investigate further. A geographical world map is also available to easily view students assignment submission locations.
Initiative thanks to:
- Dr. Prashan Karunaratne, Senior Lecturer (Teaching and Leadership), Actuarial Studies & Business Analytics. MQBS.
Need more help?
Further information can be found on the iLearn Insights website.
Access the other iLearn Insights posts in this series:
- Improve personalised student emails by using iLearn Insights ‘Variables’
- Schedule emails for the entire session
- Forum participation report in iLearn Insights
- Share ‘sent emails’ in iLearn Insights with unit convenor, tutor, marker and support staff
- SCORM participation report in iLearn Insights
Got an idea for an enhancement or special report from iLearn Insights? Please submit a Feature Request and we will contact you to discuss.