The Beginning to Teach (BTT) program, running over July 2021, is now open for registration. Apply now to participate in the next round of this introduction-to-university-teaching program that 100% past participants would recommend to Macquarie colleagues (BTT Evaluation Report 2020).

What is BTT?

BTT is a professional development program that covers topics that are key to getting started with teaching at university. BTT explores perspectives on student learning; good practice in how to plan and facilitate learning activities; and the fundamentals of feedback and assessment. The program also gives participants the opportunity to plan, present, and evaluate a short (‘micro-‘) teaching session.

Who should do BTT?

This program is suitable for any Macquarie staff members who are new to teaching or who have limited teaching experience – or who would just like to (re)learn the basics of teaching at university! BTT is particularly useful for HDRs, ECRs, tutors, and sessional academics who have just started teaching.

No matter your disciplinary background, participating in BTT will help develop your practical understanding of some of the foundational concepts in university learning and teaching and build your skills (and confidence) in preparing, delivering and reviewing your own teaching.

What is the time commitment?

In July 2021, the program will run over 4 weeks with a total participation time of approximately 12 hours. Participants receive a Certificate of Completion on completion of all program requirements.

What Macquarie colleagues have said about participating in BTT

[S]uch a great learning experience. BTT was exactly what I had hoped it would be … the tools (language/terminology) to structure and plan my own teaching, and it has provided me more confidence to facilitate learning in the higher education context. On top of this it was a lot of fun.

An absolutely wonderful program! It has honestly helped me so much, I feel so much more confident in what I am doing and what techniques I can use to improve my teaching.

Overall a great program and exposed me to new online technologies. Great range of experience in the group too provided good insights. I would recommend this course.

A good course to learn and relearn our teaching skills regardless of our years of experience. Great way to refresh and validate our skills from new and older teaching staff… thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank you for facilitating such an inclusive and supportive environment! I haven’t been in a class like this in years!

Nothing but praise for the program, the facilitators and the delivery of it. I have learnt so much from the facilitators and peers. …look forward to my students benefiting from it.

Check out the BTT July 2021 Program HERE
Register to participate HERE

If you have any questions, please get in touch by emailing professional.learning@mq.edu.au

Posted by L&T Development

The Learning and Teaching Staff Development team works with staff across the University to ensure they are supported to facilitate quality learning for students. This includes offering professional development, contributing to curriculum and assessment design, recognising and rewarding good practice, supporting peer review of teaching, and leading scholarly reflection. Email professional.learning@mq.edu.au with questions or requests.