This week, we warmly welcome Jaana Shaw as she joins the Faculty Learning Design team. Read on to get to know a little bit about Jaana and her life pre- (and outside!) Macquarie.

What were you doing before you joined Macquarie?

Prior joining the University, I was the Academic Manager at Salisbury College Australia. In that role, I managed 13 ELICOS teachers, 4 VET trainers and approximately 450 International students.

I also worked for 16 years in a multi-faceted role at the Faculty of Business, Arts and Information Technology in the Illawarra Institute (of Technology). I had the opportunity to teach face to face Business Services classes, facilitate online groups, deliver training in a blended mode, design educational resources and work with external clients to create tailor-made learning platforms and act as the Learning and Development Coordinator in the Faculty.

What is your role in Human Sciences?

I’m employed as a Learning Designer. I’m really thankful for this opportunity. In this role, I’ll have the opportunity to amalgamate experiences gained from years in multifaceted educational roles and apply my passion for teaching and learning.

How do you spend your down time?

I love reading! I cannot think of any better leisure activity than relaxing with a good book. My favourite literacy genres are crime and drama.

On weekends, I go for leisurely walks around Newtown. I live nearby and absolutely love the coffee shops and restaurants there. I often catch up with friends over a delicious bowl of pasta or spicy Thai food. My New Year resolution was to join a gym. That endeavour is still “in progress”…

What are your other interests?

I’m interested in meditation and mindfulness. I think meditation helps me to connect with my feelings and thoughts. I enjoy my solitary walks on the beach, which help to clear my mind and bring clarity to everyday problems.

What’s your favourite:

Music – I love INXS, Amy Winehouse and Eric Clapton. 

Movie – This is a tough call – It would need to be either Forrest Gump or The Shawshank Redemption.

Ice cream flavour  – Nothing can beat Hokey Pokey ice cream! 

It’s great to have Jaana join the team. You can contact her at jaana.shaw@mq.edu.au. As always, you can direct iLearn questions to the Faculty Learning Designers team email address, fohs.lds@mq.edu.au.

Posted by Alex Thackray

One Comment

1. Fidel Fernando 3 April, 2019 at 9:30 am

Welcome to MQ, Jaana!

Reply