Advice, guides and examples for staff preparing final assessments and exams at Macquarie University.
Information and links – updated 16 Sep 2021.
- Guidance on final assessment types in session 2, 2021 – Overview and top tips.
- Exam preparation timeline – Session 2 2021 – for all exam formats (brief version – updated each session). This is a one pager outlining what has to happen and by when for both on-campus (paper) and online exams.
- Exams office Wiki page – mainly focused on ‘paper and pen’ exams – coversheet templates and guides (updated each season).
- Preparing final assessments and exams advice for teachers (Teche Post)
- Clarifying exam requirements (i.e being clear to students about what is and is not permitted) (Teche Post)
- Quick guide to configuring online quiz exams in iLearn (doc).
- Detailed guidance notes for preparing online exams [s2 2021] – This expands upon exam preparation timeline steps. It also provides online exam prep and design advice for online exams, and touches on contingency for on-campus exams for students who cannot attend.
- Examples of online and zoom exams in the ‘iLearn for Convenors’ unit. Practical examples, setup guides and additional advice for building exams in iLearn.
- Exam specification form [s2 2021] – for all exam formats (to be updated each session). This form is dynamic and works for both on-campus and online exams. [note: if ‘testing’ this form please do not ‘submit’ it]
- Online exam peer review sign-off form [s2 2021] – this is *only needed for online exams* (because on-campus exams get signed off when papers are submitted). This supports the QA process for the online exam peer review phase. [note: if ‘testing’ this form please do not ‘submit’ it]
- Information on Zoom invigilation at Macquarie – an overview for staff as to which zoom invigilation method suits each type of exam. This was developed with both on-screen and handwritten exam designs in mind (pen-on-paper conversion is typically used for students who cannot attend an on-campus exam). The zoom methods are flexible to expand into more authentic task design in due course.
- Online Exam with Zoom Invigilation: Guide for staff – This is intended for exam invigilators but also contains information useful for UC’s and others. Contains detailed step by step guide covering both on-screen and handwritten response methods.
- Online Exam with Zoom Invigilation: Guide for students – This guide is intended for students, but staff will also find this informative. Contains detailed step by step guide/timeline covering both on-screen and handwritten response methods as well as suggestions to optimise their exam experience.
- Scan and upload to handwritten work to iLearn – Procedures developed for students on how to submit hand-written responses to iLearn (i.e. photo/scan and upload) using MS Lens (free app) for iOS and Android as well as a non-smart-device approach. We recommend staff standardise on this method to minimise confusion for students.
- Live Exam Monitor for staff use (an overview Teche post)
- Macquarie University Assessment policy, procedures – Part E: Examinations.